VLC is a popular media player that we all are familiar with. If you haven’t used VLC, you will be impressed by the app’s simplicity on any device. The same is the case with VLC for Android TV. This open-source multimedia player from the VideoLAN project has all the features you are looking for. The best thing about VLC is that it has dedicated apps for different devices. For Fire TV Stick, you can install the VLC for Fire app. For Android TV, you can install the VLC for Android app and the list goes on.
The VLC on your TV is a re-modeled version of that on your PC and phone. This is because of the difference in the viewing techniques on a TV compared to other devices. As we sit far from the TV while watching it, VLC lets us see the whole content library at once. This somewhat resembles your normal TV guide. Also, it is specially designed so that we can navigate through the app easily with the remote. However, the UI of the VLC mobile app is retained on the TV version.
VLC on Android TV
It is such a glad piece of news to hear that VLC has made its app available on Android TVs. All those who have been using VLC on computers and smartphones can take their familiar feeling to their TV with the app. Also, you can eliminate all the problems you had in playing different files on your TV.
VLC Supported Android TVs
- Sony Smart TV
- Sharp Smart TV
- TCL Smart TV
- Hisense Smart TV
- Philips Smart TV
- Skyworth Smart TV
VLC Supported Android TV Boxes
- AT&T TV
- Mi Box and Mi Box S
How to Download VLC for Android TV
1. Press the Home or Menu button of your remote to launch the home screen.
2. Click on the Apps tab and open Google Play Store.
3. Click on the Search icon.
4. Using the virtual on-screen keyboard, type down and search for the VLC app.
5. Choose the VLC app from the search suggestions.
6. Click on the Install button.
7. Wait for the app download to complete and launch the VLC app.
How to Sideload VLC on Android TV
You can always add VLC from the Play Store, and it is way easier than sideloading the same. First, let’s discuss how to sideload the VLC app.
- Installing Downloader on Android TV
- Enable Unknown Sources
- Sideloading VLC using Downloader
Installing Downloader on Android TV
Downloader is the app that helps you download any third-party apps on your Android TV. Let’s download the same from the Play Store.
1. Turn on your Android TV and launch the Google Play Store from your home screen.
2. Click on the Search icon inside the Play Store.
3. Type and search for Downloader by AFTV news in the search bar.
4. Pick up the Downloader app icon from the app search suggestions.
5. On the overview page, select the Install button to get the Downloader app on your Android TV.
6. In the same way, install the Sideload Launcher on your Android TV from the Play Store. This is to access the sideloaded apps on your Android TV.
Enable Unknown Sources
The default settings need to be changed to help the Downloader app install third-party apps. So, follow these instructions carefully.
1. Launch the Settings app from your home screen.
2. Click on the Security & Restrictions option.
3. Next, click on the Unknown Sources option.
4. Finally, choose the Downloader option and enable it using the toggle.
Install VLC Using Downloader
1. First, launch the Downloader app on your TV.
2. Follow the prompts and click on the Allow option.
3. Then, install the AFTVnews Plugin using the URL browser.aftvnews.com. This plugin will allow the Downloader app to install APK files.
3. Enter the VLC for Android TV apk URL.
4. Select the Go option and download the APK file for the VLC app.
5. Once done, install the VLC APK on your TV.
6. Wait for the installation to complete and then launch the VLC app on your TV.
How to Use VLC Player on Android TV
1. Open the VLC app on your Android TV.
2. For the first time, it will ask permission to access the media files. Click the Allow button.
3. Now, you will get the VLC app’s home screen.
4. Play the media file that you want on your Android TV.
5. You can navigate between the playback screen using the Left and Right arrows on your Android TV remote.
6. When you are in the timeline, you can press the Left and Right arrows to skip 10 seconds forward or backward.
7. If you want, you can also customize the video and audio settings by accessing the Settings menu.
Other Supported Devices
Along with the Android TV version, VLC had its app on multiple devices letting people play different media. So, let’s find out the devices that support VLC.
- Windows PC
- Android smartphones
- Windows mobile
Frequently Asked Question
Yes, we have the official app of VLC in the Google Play Store for your TV. So, you can install VLC on your TV easily.
Media player apps like VLC, MX Player, and KMPlayer are available for Android TV. Try all the apps and choose the best one based on your preferences.