Telegram is a popular cloud-based instant messaging application. It is more than just a chat application as it helps you transfer files, make video calls. It has a very simple interface and a lot of features that will blow your mind. It was launched in 2013 and is available worldwide. The voice and video calls that you make on Telegram are end-to-end encrypted. Also, you can create end-to-end encrypted secret chats with others. Furthermore, you can send an unlimited number of images on Telegram. If you wish to access Telegram on Android TV, this is the right section for you.
On Telegram, you can share documents as big as 2GB per file. Also, share locations, animated stickers, audio messages, contacts, and more with Telegram. Unlike other apps, Telegram gives you the option to destruct your account when you aren’t using Telegram for a long time.
Pricing and Availability
Telegram is free to download and access the app on any device that supports the app. It doesn’t have an additional subscription plan and gives you an ad-free experience. In addition, it is an open platform with a fully documented and free API for other developers.
Telegram doesn’t have an official Android TV app. So, we need to find alternative methods to access the app on our TV.
How to Access Telegram on Android Smart TV with a Web Browser
1. Firstly, launch a web browser you like and visit web.telegram.org.
2. On the login page, choose your country.
3. Next, enter your phone number in the provided space.
4. Once you are done, click on the Next option.
5. Further, click on OK to confirm your number.
6. Now, you will receive a code on your Telegram app.
7. Type down the code carefully in the respective field.
8. Click on Next, and it will complete the login process.
9. Finally, you can access your Telegram account on your TV.
How to Add Telegram on Android Smart TV [Sideloading]
We can access Telegram on Android TV by sideloading the apk file. It involves the following three steps.
- Installing Downloader on Android TV
- Enable Unknown Sources
- Download Telegram using Downloader
Installing Downloader on Android Smart TV
Since we can’t install Telegram from the Play Store, we need to install it from an unknown source. To install any app from a third-party source, we need the Downloader app.
1. Turn on your Android TV and launch the Google Play Store.
2. Click on the Search icon in the Play Store.
3 Search for Downloader in the search bar by typing it down.
4. Choose the Downloader app icon from the app search suggestions.
5. Click on the Install button to download the Downloader app.
6. Within a few minutes, the Downloader app will install on your TV.
Enable Unknown Sources for Downloader
With the default settings on your Android TV, you can’t install third-party apps via Downloader or any other tool. So, you need to make the following changes to your Settings as follows.
1. Launch the Settings app from the Android TV home screen.
2. Select the Security & Restrictions option.
3. Also, select the Unknown Sources option.
4. Choose the Downloader option and then enable the feature.
Install Telegram Using Downloader
1. First, open the new Downloader app on your TV.
2. Also, follow the prompts on your screen and then click on the Allow option.
3. Enter the URL for Telegram Android TV Apk.
4. Click on the Go option and then download the APK file for the Telegram app.
5. Next, install the Telegram APK on your TV.
6. Finally, wait for the installation to complete and then launch the Telegram app on your TV.
7. Configure the app with your phone number and start communicating with your friends.
Note – Since you have sideloaded the Android mobile version, you need the help of the Mouse Toggle to use Telegram without any flaws.
Installing Telegram on Android Smart TV With “Send files to TV”
1. Take your Android Smartphone and connect it to the Wi-Fi network where your TV is connected.
2. Install Send Files to TV app on your Smart TV and Smartphone.
3. Simultaneously, install the latest version of Telegram Android TV apk on your smartphone.
4. Now, launch the Send Files to TV app on both devices.
5. On your smartphone, select the SEND option and select the apk file you downloaded.
6. On the other hand, select the Receive option on your Android TV.
7. Select your Android TV on the smartphone, and the file will be transferred to the TV immediately.
8. Once the transfer process is completed, run the received file, and the Telegram app will install on your TV immediately.
Note – Like Downloader, you need to enable the unknown sources setting for the “Send Files to TV” app.
Casting Telegram to Android TV from Smartphone
Telegram doesn’t support casting, and you can’t find a cast icon in the app. So, you need to screen mirror your device on your TV. Follow these steps on your Android casting device to cast it on your TV.
1. Make sure to connect both Android TV and Android device to the same Wi-Fi.
2. Install the Google Home app on your casting device from the Play Store.
3. Open the Google Home app and tap on your Android TV name.
4. Click on the Cast Screen option.
5. Now, you can see your phone’s screen mirroring your TV.
6. Open the Telegram app on your casting device.
7. Finally, access all your chats on your Android TV.
Other Supported Devices
- Android tablets and smartphones (Version 4.1 or later)
- Android Smartwatches (Version 4.1or later)
- iPhone, iPod Touch, iPad (Version 9.0 or later)
- Apple Watch (watchOS 5.0 or later)
- Windows Phone
- Windows (10/8.1/8/7/Vista/XP)
- Web Browsers
Frequently Asked Questions
There is no official Android TV app for Telegram. However, we can access it on our TV in different ways.
There is no standalone WhatsApp application for Android TVs. So, we need to sideload the app on our TV or cast it from another device.