When you surf the internet, privacy is one of the major concerns. There are a lot of monitoring and phishing sites tracking your online presence. To stay away from them, you have to use VPNs. With the Surfshark VPN on your Android TV, you can hide your online presence with a duplicate IP address. The added advantage while using VPNs on Android TV is that you can access geo-restricted content in streaming apps like Hulu, YouTube TV, and Sling TV.
Surfshark VPN is based on the British Virgin Island and was launched in 2018. Apart from VPN, Surfshark also offers other products like Antivirus, Private Web Searches, and Surfshark Alert.
Surfshark VPN offers three types of subscriptions.
- Monthly subscription: $12.95 per month.
- One-Year subscription: $59.76 ($3.99 per month)
- Two-Year subscription: $59.76 ($2.49 per month)
The two-year plan is a little tricky. For the first two years, you can get the Surfshark VPN for $59.76. After that, you have to pay $59.76 every year. Basically, the two-year plan is a one-time offer. All three plans come with a 30-day money-back policy.
Surfshark VPN on Android TV
Surfshark VPN can be installed on your Android TV from the Google Play Store for version 5.0 and above. Apart from that, there are three alternative ways to get the Surfshark VPN on Android TV.
Supported Android TVs
- Sony Smart TV
- Sharp Smart TV
- TCL Smart TV
- Hisense Smart TV
- Philips Smart TV
- Skyworth Smart TV
Supported Android TV Box
- AT&T TV
- DIRECTV Stream
- Mi Box and Mi Box S
How to Add and Use Surfshark on Android TV
1. Launch your Android TV and connect it to the internet.
2. Next, select the Apps tab and launch the Google Play Store.
3. Click on the Search icon.
4. Search for the Surfshark app with the help of the on-screen keyboard.
5. Pick the Surfshark VPN from the search results.
6. Select the Install button and then start installing the VPN.
7. Wait for the download to finish and launch the Surfshark VPN.
8. If you have a Surfshark account, click on Log In and enter your details. If not, click on the Create Account button.
9. On the app home page, select the Connect button to connect to the fastest server available instantly.
10. Next, accept the connection on the pop-up that appears on your screen.
11. If you want, you can set the Nearest country as default by pressing the button marked in the figure.
12. The following green Connected button indicates that you have successfully connected to the server.
13. Click the Disconnect button to stop the VPN connection.
How to Sideload Surfshark on Android TV
If you can’t install the Surfsharp app on your Android TV from the Play Store, try sideloading it from a trusted site. It involves the following three steps:
- Installing Downloader on Android TV
- Enabling Unknown Sources
- Downloading Surfshark using Downloader
Installing Downloader on Android TV
1. Turn on your Android TV and launch the Google Play Store.
2. Select the Search icon and type in Downloader by AFTV news in the search bar.
3. Choose the Downloader app icon from the suggestion list and then click on the Install button.
4. Now, the Downloader app will be installed on your Android TV.
Enabling the Unknown Sources
1. Open the Settings app from the Android TV home screen.
2. Next, click on the Security & Restrictions option.
3. Click on the Unknown Sources option.
4. Enable the Downloader app’s toggle.
Sideload Surfshark Using Downloader
Now, it is time to install the Surfshark app on your TV from a trustable source. To access the Surfshark VPN APK on Android TV, you need to install Sideload Launcher on your TV from the Play Store.
1. Launch the new Downloader app on your Android TV.
2. Click on the Allow option when prompted.
3. Enter the AFTVnews Plugin URL (browser.aftvnews.com) and download it. To install APK files on Downloader, you need to the AFTVnews plugin.
4. Type the Surfshark Android TV VPN APK URL.
5. Select the Go option and then download the APK file for the Surfshark VPN.
6. Tap the Install button to get the Surfshark APK on your Android TV.
7. Wait for the installation to complete and then launch the Surfshark VPN on your TV.
8. Connect to the VPN server and surf the internet without any privacy issues.
Alternate Ways to Use Surfshark VPN on Android TV
If you have a WiFi router, you can install the Surfshark VPN on the router and connect your Android TV to the WiFi router. In this way, your Android TV will get the Surfshark VPN encrypted WiFi connection. You can contact your ISP on how to get the VPN connection from the router. Based on the brands of routers, the steps may vary.
Another method is the Windows Hotspot method. In this way, you have to install the Surfshark VPN on your Windows PC. Open the Surfshark VPN on your Windows PC and connect to any of the available servers. Then, turn on the WiFi hotspot on your Windows PC and connect your Android TV to the hotspot. In this way, your Android TV will get the VPN connection from your Windows PC.
Alternatives for Surfshark VPN
If the server availability and the features of Surfshark VPN are not enough for you, you can try any one of these VPNs on your Android TV.
Other Supported Devices
If you have any of these devices, you can connect them to your Surfshark VPN subscription.
- Apple TV
- Amazon Fire TV
- Google TV
- Samsung Smart TV
- WiFi routers
- Google Home
- Smart fridges
- Windows PC
- Android phone
- Android tablet
- Web browsers (Chrome and Firefox)
Frequently Asked Questions
With one subscription, you can use the Surfshark VPN account on any number of devices without any restrictions.
Yes, the Surfshark VPN will bypass Netflix’s geo-restrictions.