Video calling is one of the major parts of our life. Sitting to its importance, a lot of TVs are coming with a built-in camera. And a lot of video calling apps have been released for Android TVs and other smart TVs. Likewise, you can access the Skype app on your Android TV with ease. Among all the Android TVs, only the TCL Android TV offers a built-in camera for video calling purposes. You must install an external camera to your TV USB for the other models to access the Skype app.
Skype had its own Android TV app called Skype on TV. But, the app was removed and is no longer available now. You can use the Skype website or the APK file to get the Skype app on your Android TV.
You can use the Skype app for free. If you want premium features like Voice mail, SMS, and offline calling, you have to buy a subscription that starts at $3.53 per month.
Supported Android TVs
- Sony Smart TV
- Sharp Smart TV
- TCL Smart TV
- Hisense Smart TV
- Philips Smart TV
- Skyworth Smart TV
Supported Android TV Boxes
- AT&T TV
- Mi Box and Mi Box S
How to Access Skype on an Android TV With a Web Browser
The easiest way to access Skype on an Android Smart TV is by using the web browser.
1. Open a web browser on Android TV.
2. Visit the Skype website (skype.com).
3. Click the Open Skype in your browser button.
4. Sign in to your Skype account.
5. Start or join a video call from your TV.
6. If you are done with the call, click the End button.
How to Install Skype on Android TV
1. Turn on your Android TV and open Google Play Store from the Apps section.
2. Go to the Search icon and type Skype using the on-screen keyboard.
3. Choose the Downloader app from the search results and click on the Install button.
4. With that, the Downloader app will be installed on your Android TV.
5. Now, launch the Settings menu from the Android TV home screen.
6. Under Settings, choose the Device Preferences option.
7. Select Security & Restrictions and tap the Unknown Sources option.
8. Navigate to the Downloader app and turn on the toggle.
9. Now, launch the Downloader app and go through the on-screen instructions.
10. Download the AFTVnews Plugin using the URL (browser.aftvnews.com)
11. Then, enter the Skype Android TV APK URL and click the Go button.
12. The Skype apk file will be downloaded.
13. Tap the Install button to get the Skype app on your TV.
14. Wait for a few seconds and then launch the Skype app after installation.
15. Click the Allow button to access the webcam and microphone.
16. After that, you can make video calls in the Skype app.
How to Screen Mirror Skype on Android TV
1. Connect your smartphone and Android TV to the same WiFi network.
2. Install the Skype app from the Google Play Store.
3. Launch the Skype app and complete the sign-in procedure.
4. Swipe down the Notification bar from your screen and tap the Cast icon.
5. From the list of available devices, select your Android TV.
6. With that, the smartphone will start to mirror on your TV.
7. Launch the Skype app and start the video call. It will appear on your TV.
Other Supported Devices
The below-mentioned devices will let you access Skype on it.
- Android phone
- Windows PC
- Xbox One
- Xbox Series X and S
- Web browsers
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, you can use a webcam on your Android TV to access the Skype app.
You can sideload the app on your Sony Android TV using Downloader.