Generally, it is difficult to find an Android TV media player with the ability to play and download audio/files in different formats. However, PLAYit App is one such application that you can install on Android TV to play the locally stored files and download videos from popular sites.
What is PLAYit App?
PLAYit is an all-in-one application you can use as a video player, music player, file transfer, video converter, or video downloader. It automatically detects and displays the locally stored audio/video media files on the Smart TV. Like VLC Media Player, you can search and find subtitles for all types of video files. Moreover, the media player is free to download and use on all devices.
Supports All Formats – The PLAYit app supports all types of files effortlessly. The supported video formats are 4K, 1080p, MKV, FLV, 3GP, M4V, TS, and MPG. When it comes to audio files, it supports both mp3 and m4a formats.
Online Media Player – The PLAYit app can be used to search and download videos online. It has a built-in search functionality which you can use to find and download videos online.
Hide Videos – One of the best functionalities of the PLAYit App is that you can use it to hide personal videos in a private folder.
Converter – With a single click, you can extract audio from the video files stored on your Android TV.
Play Videos in Background – Like YouTube, the PLAYit app also supports playing videos in the background. Hence, you can work on other apps while streaming videos on the PLAYit app.
PLAYit App on Android TV
Currently, the PLAYit is natively unavailable for Android Smart TVs and Android TV Boxes. We have to wait until the developer launches the application officially for Smart TV. However, there is a way to access PLAYit on Android Smart TV. We can sideload the PLAYit apk file on your TV to play the local video and music files.
The sideloading method supports the following TVs and Boxes running on Android OS.
Supported Android TVs
- Sony Smart TV
- Sharp Smart TV
- TCL Smart TV
- MI Smart TV
- Hisense Smart TV
- Philips Smart TV
- Skyworth Smart TV
Supported Android TV Boxes
- AT&T TV
- DIRECTV Stream Box
- Mi Box and Mi Box S
How to Install PLAYit App on Android TV
As we have already discussed, PLAYit doesn’t have its app in the Android TV Google Play Store. So you have to sideload it with the Downloader app.
- Step 1: Installing Downloader on Android TV
- Step 2: Enabling Unknown Sources in Settings
- Step 3: Downloading the PLAYit app using Downloader
Installing Downloader on Android TV
Downloader is a very popular application among Android TV users. It helps you add third-party apps to your device.
1. Firstly, turn on your Android TV and launch the Google Play Store.
2. Click on the Search icon and search for the Downloader app.
3. Pick up the Downloader from the app suggestion list and click on the Install button.
4. Wait for a few minutes till the app installs on your Android TV.
Enabling the Unknown Sources
The Downloader itself isn’t capable of installing third-party apps on your TV. So, you need to make the following settings on your TV.
1. Firstly, launch the Android TV Settings app from your home screen and select the Device Preferences option.
2. Next, click on the Security & Restrictions option.
3. Further, click on the Unknown Sources option.
4. Finally, click on the Downloader option and enable it using the toggle.
Installing PLAYit App on Android TV Using Downloader
Now, we have the Downloader app on Android TV to install third-party apps. So, let’s add the PLAYit app and then play your media files.
1. Launch the Downloader app on your TV.
2. Click the Allow option when a prompt appears on your screen.
3. Type in the URL for the PLAYit Android TV app.
4. Click on the Go option and download the APK file for the PLAYit app.
5. Start installing the PLAYit Video player on your Android TV.
6. Wait for the installation to complete.
7. Finally, launch the PLAYit app on your TV after the installation is complete.
8. Upon launching the app, it will ask permission to access the local files.
9. Enable permission for all the necessary things and play the media file you want.
Sideload PLAYit App on Android TV Using Aptoide TV
Unlike the Downloader method, you don’t need to enter any URL on the Aptoide TV to sideload the app. Instead, a simple tap on the Install button will download the required app.
2. Now, go to the Android TV settings and enable the unknown sources setting for Aptoide TV (Settings → Device Preferences → Security & Restrictions → Unknown Sources → Aptoide TV).
3. Now, launch the Aptoide TV app.
4. Go to the Search icon and search for the PLAYit app.
5. Pick the PLAYit app and hit the Install button.
6. That’s it. The application will install on your TV automatically. You can launch the app after installation.
Other Supported Devices
The PLAYit player is officially supported on the following devices:
- Android Smartphones and Tablets
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes. The PLAYit is 100% safe for Android TV and other supported devices. Furthermore, the application doesn’t host any media content, so that you can download it without fear.