HGTV stands for Home & Garden Television. This American television channel is owned by Discovery Inc. Being under the same network, HGTV has cool sister channels including Discovery, Cooking Channel, and others. Similar to these sister channels, HGTV has its official Android TV app, the HGTV GO. On the app, you can stream HGTV live all day on your TV. Furthermore, you can enjoy watching all episodes of the current HGTV shows on the app.
Shows to look for on HGTV GO includes Flip or Flop, House Hunters, Fixer to Fabulous, and Bargain Mansions. HGTV channel streams in America, Australia, Canada, India, England, Spain, and a few other countries. However, the HGTV GO app is available only in the US. If you have a Discovery Plus subscription, you can enjoy streaming shows from HGTV on the app.
There are no subscription plans for HGTV alone. All you need is a subscription with the right TV provider. Get HGTV with Hulu, YouTube TV, Philo, Sling TV, fuboTV, Vidgo, and DirecTV Stream.
HGTV on Android TV
Just like the other channels from Discovery, HGTV has its official app on the Android TV platform. In this section, let’s explore different ways to access HGTV on your TV.
Supported Android TV
- Sony Smart TV
- Sharp Smart TV
- JVC Smart TV
- TCL Smart TV
- Panasonic Smart TV
- Hisense Smart TV
- Philips Smart TV
- Skyworth Smart TV
Supported Android TV Box
- AT&T TV
- Mi Box and Mi Box S
How to Add HGTV on Android TV
1. Firstly, launch your Android TV and connect to the internet.
2. Next, select the Apps tab and then launch the Google Play Store.
3. Further, click on the Search icon.
4. Search for the HGTV GO app.
5. Select the HGTV GO app from your search results.
6. Click on the Install button and start downloading the app.
7. As the download ends, open the HGTV GO app.
8. Note down the Activation Code on your screen.
9. Visit the HGTV Activation website on your phone or PC.
10. Enter the activation code in the box provided.
11. Click on the Activate button and then enter the TV provider subscription details.
12. Finally, start streaming the HGTV shows on your TV.
How to add HGTV on Android TV outside the US
Since the HGTV GO app is only available in the US, you can’t download the app outside the US. So, you need to sideload the app from a trusted site. It involves the following three steps.
- Install Downloader on Android TV
- Enabling Unknown Sources
- Sideload the HGTV GO app
Install Downloader on Android TV
1. Firstly, turn on your Android TV and then launch the Google Play Store.
2. Click on the Search icon and then type in Downloader by AFTV news in the search bar.
3. Select the Downloader app icon and then click on the Install button.
4. Now, the Downloader app will be installed on your Android TV.
Enabling Unknown Sources
1. Open the Settings app from the Android TV home screen.
2. Next, click on the Security & Restrictions option.
3. Further, click on the Unknown Sources option.
4. Click on the Downloader app and turn on the toggle.
How to Sideload HGTV GO on Android TV
1. Launch the new Downloader app on your Android TV.
2. Click on the Allow option when prompted.
3. Type in the URL for HGTV GO apk in the URL section.
4. Click on the Go option and download the APK file for the HGTV GO app.
5. Tap the Install button.
6. Then, launch the HGTV GO app and stream the video content on your Android TV.
How to Cast HGTV on Android TV
1. Firstly, connect both your Android TV and your Android smartphone on the same WiFi network.
2. Next, install HGTV GO on your smartphone from the Play Store.
3. Launch the HGTV app and complete the log-in process.
4. From the HGTV GO app, tap the Cast icon.
5. From the list of devices on your screen, select your Android TV.
6. The app starts to cast on your Android TV.
7. Play any title you love from the app and stream it on your TV.
Other Devices that support HGTV GO
- Apple TV
- Amazon Fire TV
- Samsung Smart TV
- Xbox One
- Web browser
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Does HGTV have a free app?
Yes, the HGTV GO is a free app. There are no subscription plans for HGTV, all you need is a TV provider subscription.
3. Is HGTV on Google TV?
Yes, you can download the HGTV GO app on your Google TV from the Play Store.