Freeview is one of the few streaming service platforms based in the United Kingdom. With the Freeview app, you will get live TV channels like ITV, Channel 4, Sky, BBC iPlayer, My5, ITV Hub, All4, and UKTV Play. For Android TV and Android TV Box, Freeview has its own app called Freeview Play. You can install the Freeview Play app from the Google Play Store. In the Freeview app, you will get more than 85 channels with the live TV guide.
You can get the Freeview app in two ways. You can download the app or buy the Freeview recommended TVs or TV Box and get the pre-installed Freeview Play app. As of now, you can get TCL Roku TV, Sharp Smart TV, Hisense Smart TV, Manhattan TV Box, and Humax TV Box. These devices are pre-installed with the Freeview app. You can get any of these products from the Freeview website.
Supported Android TVs
- Hisense Smart TV [2016, 2019, and 2020 models]
- Sharp Smart TV [models from 2020]
- TCL Smart TV [2018 and 2019 models]
- Sony Android TV [models from 2016]
- Philips Smart TV
- Hisense Smart TV
Supported Android TV Boxes
- NVIDIA Shield
- Mi Box
- DIRECTV Stream
- Ematic Android TV Box
How to Install Freeview on Android TV
1. Open the Play Store on your Android TV from the Apps section.
2. Click the Search icon and type Freeview Play.
3. Choose the Freeview Play app from the search results.
4. Tap the Install button to get the Freeview Play app.
5. Open the Freeview app on your TV.
6. Sign in with your account and watch all the 85+ channels on your Android TV.
How to Cast Freeview on Android TV
1. Install the Freeview app on your Android smartphone from the Play Store.
2. Then, connect your smartphone and Android TV to the same WiFi network.
3. Now, open the Freeview app on your smartphone.
4. Play any video content from the app.
5. On the playback screen, tap the Cast icon.
6. Choose your Android TV.
7. The video will appear on your TV.
8. To stop the casting, tap the Cast icon again and click the Disconnect button.
How to Sideload Freeview on Android TV
1. Launch the Google Play Store on your Android TV.
2. Click on the Search icon.
3. Type Downloader and search for the app.
4. Choose the Downloader app from the search results.
5. Click on the Install button to get the Downloader app on Android TV.
6. Launch the Settings menu from your TV home screen.
7. Click on the Device Preferences option and choose Security & restrictions.
8. Further, select the Unknown Sources option.
9. Choose the Downloader option and enable the toggle.
10. Then, launch the Downloader app on your TV.
11. As prompted, click on the Allow option.
13. Download the AFTVnews Plugin using the URL (browser.aftvnews.com).
14. Then, enter the Freeview Android TV APK URL and click the Go button.
15. Download the APK file and tap the Install button.
16. Open the Freeview app. If you can’t open the app, get the Sideload Launcher on Android TV and open the app. Watch all the live TV channels.
Other Supported Devices
- Android phones
- Chromecast with Google TV
- LG Smart TVs
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, if you order a Smart TV from the Freeview website, the Freeview app will be pre-installed on your TV.
You can get the Freeview app on your Sony TV from the Play Store. Sony Smart TVs are not available on the Freeview website.