ES File Explorer is one of the best file manager apps for Android TV. With the ES File Explorer on your Android TV, send & receive files from smartphones, manage all your offline files, play video files, store password-protected files, and more. There have been a lot of features on the app ever since its early days. Some of them are bookmark directory, blank file creation, tabbed browsing, three modes of viewing files (grid, list, and detailed list), and more. It makes very advantageous and makes your work much easier.
During its early days, ES File Explorer was a free platform. However, you need to get a premium subscription to ES File Explorer for advanced features. Get an ES File Explorer subscription at $9.99 per month. The pro version includes features like
- Killing the running applications
- Decompressing a rar or zip file
- Installing apps from an unknown source
- Sync with cloud storage like Google Drive, Skydrive, and Dropbox on Android TV.
ES File Explorer on Android TV
ES File Explorer app was available on the Play Store. But, in 2019, the app was removed from the Play Store. DO Global, the company that owns ES File Explorer was found to be guilty of some of the Play Store regulations. Due to this, all the DO Global apps are removed from the Play Store. As of now, there is no clear information on when the app will be released. For the Android TVs, you have to sideload the app using Downloader.
Supported Android TVs
- Sony Smart TV
- Sharp Smart TV
- JVC Smart TV
- TCL Smart TV
- Panasonic Smart TV
- Hisense Smart TV
- Philips Smart TV
Supported Android TV Boxes
- DIRECTV STREAM
- Mi Box and Mi Box S
- Ematic Android TV Box
How to Add ES File Explorer on Android TV
To sideload apps on Android TV, you need three things.
- Downloader on Android TV
- Enable Unknown Sources for Downloader
- Installing ES File Explorer Using Downloader
How to Install Downloader on Android TV
1. Turn on your Android TV and then launch the Google Play Store.
2. Click on the Search icon in the Play Store.
3. Type down Downloader by AFTV news in the search bar.
4. Select the Downloader app icon from the app search results.
5. Click on the Install button to download the Downloader app.
6. In the same way, install the Sideload Launcher on your Android TV to access the APK files.
Enable Unknown Sources for Downloader
1. Tap the Settings icon from the Android TV home screen.
2. Choose Device Preferences and choose the Security & Restrictions option.
3. Click on the Unknown Sources option.
4. Select the Downloader app and enable the Install Unknown Apps toggle.
How to Install ES File Explorer Using Downloader
1. Launch the Downloader app on your Android TV.
2. Click on the Allow option.
3. Then, enter the AFTVnews plugin URL (browser.aftvnews.com) and install the plugin.
4. Type the ES File Explorer Android TV APK URL in the required section of the Downloader app.
5. Click on the Go option and download the APK file for the ES File Explorer app.
6. Further, install the ES File Explorer APK on your TV.
7. Wait for the installation to complete.
7. Once the installation is complete, launch ES File Explorer on your TV and manage the files stored locally on your TV.
Alternative Method to Add ES File Explorer on Android TV
1. Open a web browser on your PC and visit any reputed third-party site.
2. Download the ES File Explorer APK on your computer.
3. Connect the USB Drive to your computer and then copy the APK file to it.
4. Once done, eject the USB Drive from your PC.
5. Next, connect the USB Drive to your Android TV.
6. After a few minutes, launch a file explorer like Solid Explorer on your Android TV and access the USB Drive.
7. Open the folder that contains the ES File Explorer APK file and open it.
8. Install the ES File Explorer app on your TV.
9. Once the installation is complete, launch the app on your Android TV.
How to Use ES File Explorer on Android TV
1. Go to your Android TV Settings and open the Device Preferences menu.
2. Select the Security & Restrictions option and choose the Unknown Sources option.
3. Go to the ES File Explorer app and turn on the Install Unknown Apps toggle.
4. Then, launch the ES File Explorer app on your TV.
5. Click on the Downloader option.
6. Tap the + New icon on the bottom of the screen.
7. Now, it will display two different fields.
- Path – Enter the URL for the apk file you want to download.
- Name – Enter a name for your apk file.
8. Click on DOWNLOAD NOW and the apk file will download on your TV.
9. After downloading, open the file.
12. Click on INSTALL and the app will install on your Android TV without any hassle.
13. Then, install the Sideload Launcher on your Android TV from the Play Store to access the APK files.
Other Supported Devices
Let’s look at the list of other devices that support the ES File Explorer app.
- Android Smartphones & Tablets
- Google TV
Frequently Asked Questions
You can add apps to ES File Explorer by using the download link, sending the APK from your smartphone, and accessing the cloud storage.
As of now, there is no replacement app announced from DO Global.