Discord is an instant messaging platform that includes voice calls, video calls, and text messages. The messaging on Discord can either be private chats or chats in communities called servers. Discord was initially launched in 2015 and is popular among the gaming community. Throughout the past few years, Discord has undergone a lot of updates. Therefore, Discord is undoubtedly the most popular Voice Over IP among gamers and others. Discord is “Your place to talk” even if you are far away from your friends. In this section, let’s explore ways to use Discord on an Android TV.
The different communities on Discord as known as Servers. If you use Discord, you can create servers for free. Also, you can manage the public visibility of the servers that you create. Further, you can add up to 800000 members to each server you create.
Discord application is completely free to install and use. However, there are a few premium plans that you can purchase for bonuses and perks. It costs $9.99/month or $99.99/year. It provides access to
- Free games in Discord’s store
- Larger file upload
- Custom sitewide emojis
- Animated avatars
Discord on Android TV
Even though Discord can be accessed across a variety of devices, there is no official Discord app for an Android TV. So, let’s find out alternative ways to access Discord on an Android TV.
Supported Android TV
- Sony Smart TV
- Sharp Smart TV
- Panasonic Smart TV
- TCL Smart TV
- Hisense Smart TV
- Philips Smart TV
- JVC Smart TV
- Skyworth Smart TV
Supported Android TV Box
- AT&T TV
- DIRECTV STREAMS
- NVIDIA Shield TV
- Mi Box and Mi Box S
How to Add Discord to Android TV
Since we don’t have an official Discord app, we need to sideload the app on your TV using Downloader. The process of installing third-party apps on Android TV involves the following three steps.
- Installing Downloader on Android TV
- Enable Unknown Sources
- Download Discord using Downloader
Installing Downloader on Android TV
1. Firstly, turn on your Android TV and then launch the Google Play Store.
2. Select the Search icon and then type in Downloader by AFTV news in the search bar.
3. Choose the Downloader app icon from the app search results and click on the Install button to download the app.
4. Wait for a few minutes so that the Downloader app installation is complete.
Enable Unknown Sources
1. Open the Settings app on your Android TV.
2. Next, click on the Security & Restrictions option.
3. Choose the Unknown Sources option.
4. Finally, click on the Downloader option and turn on the toggle.
Install Discord on Android TV using Downloader
1. Open the new Downloader app on your Android TV.
2. Click on the Allow option when prompted.
3. Type in the URL for Discord for android APK URL.
4. Click on the Go option and download the APK file for the Discord app.
5. Then, tap Install.
6. Then, launch the Discord on your TV.
Alternative Method: Cast Discord on Android TV
The Discord app itself doesn’t support the casting feature. So, if you wish to access Discord on your TV by casting, you need to screen mirror your Android smartphone on your TV.
1. Connect your Android TV and Android smartphone under the same WiFi network.
2. On your Android smartphone, install the Discord app from the Play Store.
3. Open the Discord app and sign in to your account.
4. On the Notification Panel of your smartphone, select the Screen Cast/Cast option.
5. From the list of devices on your screen, select your Android TV and then enable the permission to mirror your screen.
6. Now, you can see that your Android device screen is cast on your TV.
7. Launch the Discord app and start streaming it on your TV.
Other Supported Devices
Apart from Android TVs, Discord is supported on multiple other devices. Let’s learn more about the other devices that support the Discord app.
- Android devices (version 5 and above)
- iOS devices (10.0 and above)
- Windows PC (7 and above)
- Mac (macOS 10.11 and above)
- Web browsers (Chrome, Firefox, Opera, Edge, and Safari.
Related: How to Install Twitch on Android TV.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, we can install the Discord APK on an Android TV using Downloader.
No, the Discord app is not available for Apple TV devices.