BBC iPlayer is a go-to streaming service in the UK. It offers both live and on-demand content. With the BBC iPlayer app, you can get to watch all series like Peaky Blinders, Snowfall, and more. BBC iPlayer app has a dedicated app for Android TV from the Play Store. Apart from live TV and on-demand shoes, you can also get video content from categories like Documentaries, Entertainment, Lifestyle, Arts, and more. BBC iPlayer also has kid’s content from CBBC and CBeebies.
In the BBC iPlayer app, you can download any of the video content from the app and watch them offline at your convenience. Customization options like you can create your own playlist with favorite shows, getting personalized recommendations, and series reminders.
BBC iPlayer on Android TV
You have more than one way to access BBC iPlayer on an Android TV. Let’s see what all the various ways to stream BBC iPlayer are.
Supported Android TV
- Sony Smart TV
- Sharp Smart TV
- Panasonic Smart TV
- TCL Smart TV
- Hisense Smart TV
- Philips Smart TV
- JVC Smart TV
- Skyworth Smart TV
Supported Android TV Box
- AT&T TV
- Mi Box and Mi Box S
- Mecool Android TV Box
How to Install BBC iPlayer on Android TV
1. Open the Play Store on your Android TV.
2. Navigate to the Search icon on the Play Store.
3. Type BBC iPlayer and search for it.
4. Choose the BBC iPlayer app from the search results.
5. Click the Install button on the next screen.
6. Then, tap the Open button to launch the BBC iPlayer app.
7. Stream your favorite content.
8. Sign in with your account to get offline access and customized notifications.
How to Watch BBC iPlayer on an Android TV Using a Web Browser
In this method, you need a web browser on your Android TV. Get any of the best web browsers on your Android TV.
1. First, launch a web browser like Firefox or Chrome on Android TV.
2. Visit the BBC iPlayer website (https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer).
3. Browse through the app library and choose a topic to stream.
4. Log in to your account to get personalized access to BBC iPlayer.
How to Add BBC iPlayer on Android TV [Outside UK]
If you are in the US, you need to sideload the app on your Android TV from a third-party source. It involves the following three steps.
- Installing Downloader on Android TV
- Enable Unknown Sources
- Download BBC iPlayer using Downloader
Installing Downloader on Android TV
You need an app called Downloader on Android TV so that we can install third-party apps. You can find the app in the Play Store.
1. Firstly, turn on your Android TV and then launch the Google Play Store.
2. Next, click on the Search icon in the Play Store.
3. Further, type and search for Downloader in the search bar.
4. Select the Downloader app icon from the app search suggestions.
5. Click on the Install button to get the Downloader app.
6. In the same way, get the Sideload Launcher app on Android TV from the Play Store to access the sideloaded APK files on your Android TV.
Enable Unknown Sources
Now, you are going to change the default settings on your TV so that you can download third-party apps. Follow these instructions carefully and get the work done as follows.
1. Launch the Settings app from the Android TV home screen.
2. Click on the Security & Restrictions option.
3. Next, click on the Unknown Sources option.
4. Finally, click on the Downloader option and enable it using the toggle.
Sideload BBC iPlayer on Android TV using Downloader
1. First, launch the new Downloader app on your Android TV.
2. Follow the on-screen prompts and then click on the Allow option.
3. Now, enter the AFTVnews plugin (browser.aftvnews.com) to download APK files on Downloader.
4. Enter the URL for BBC iPlayer Android TV APK.
5. Click on the Go option and download the APK file for the BBC iPlayer app.
6. Next, install the BBC iPlayer APK on your TV.
7. Finally, wait for the installation to complete and launch any VPNs like NordVPN or ExpressVPN on your Android TV.
8. Connect to a UK server.
9. Now, launch the BBC iPlayer app, sign in with your credentials and then stream the content.
Alternative Method: Cast BBC iPlayer on Android TV
BBC iPlayer lets you cast its content on your TV from its app on both Android and iOS devices. Follow these instructions to cast the app.
From Android/iOS devices
1. Connect both your smartphone and Android TV to the same WiFi connection.
3. Open the BBC iPlayer app and log in with your account if asked.
4. Tap the Cast icon on the top-right corner of your screen.
5. Further, choose your Android TV from the list of devices on your screen.
6. Now, play any video on the BBC iPlayer app.
7. It will be cast on your Android TV.
8. To stop the casting, tap the Cast icon and choose Disconnect.
1. Connect both your Android TV and Chrome browser installed Windows or Mac to the same WiFi network.
2. Launch the Chrome web browser on your PC.
3. Visit the BBC iPlayer website on your browser.
4. Right-click on the screen and select the Cast option.
5. Further, select your Android TV from the list of devices on your screen.
6. Play the title you want and watch it on the TV screen.
Other Supported Devices
There are a lot of popular devices that support BBC iPlayer.
- Apple TV (4th generation)
- Amazon Fire TV
- Roku TV
- Roku stick
- Google Chromecast
- Chromecast with Google TV
- NOW TV
- Samsung Smart TV
Frequently Asked Questions
For Sony Smart TV, you can install the BBC iPlayer app only on the TV models that are manufactured from 2014 and above. In the older models, you can’t install the app.
You can get the BBC iPlayer on your TCL Android TV from the Play Store.